Hello, everybody! The traffic on this site has been nuts since I did my tutorial for Celebrate the Boy. Thank you for coming on over and visiting. I hope some of you will stay awhile!
While I have your attention, I wanted to put in a quick plug for a new Etsy Team I just started called The Blog & Sponsor Connection. The focus of the team is to connect shops with bloggers and make it easier for everyone to find sponsorship opportunities that are mutually beneficial.
Here is the team description:
ETSY SELLERS / POTENTIAL SPONSORS
This is a place for you to find blogs that fit your sponsorship needs. Find blogs that want to showcase your shop and products, host a giveaway or place your ad on a blog that fits your target audience.
This is a place for you to find potential sponsors your blog. Find Etsy sellers who are looking to place ads or who want blogs to sponsor giveaways and/or reviews of their shops and products. Talk about what your blog is about, show your statistics and sponsorship information pages.
(Please note that this Team is about seeking and finding sponsorship opportunities. For other "blog talk" about the ins and outs of blogging, promoting recent blog posts, critiquing blogs, etc., please join one of the many awesome Etsy blogging support teams. We want to keep the board as on-topic as possible so that potential sponsors have an easy time finding you :)
So if you have a blog or an Etsy shop, please check it out and sign up!
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Monday, February 21, 2011
Made by Rae and MADE this month for Celebrate the Boy, a collection of tutorials, round-ups, giveaways and generally awesome boy-related crafts from around the Internet. Last year my Boy's Tie from a Man's Tie tutorial was featured in one of their many amazing round-ups of crafting for boys, and this year they asked me to contribute a tutorial for my Crayon Monster Art Totes.
And, to make it even MORE fun, I've decided to give away the tote that I made for this tutorial! A separate giveaway post with all of the details on how to enter is directly below this post.
The LARGE Print: Please remember that all tutorials, patterns and projects on Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky! are for personal use only and may not be distributed commercially without my permission. That includes Etsy! Make them for yourself, make them for your friends, hand them out at your kid’s birthday party, but please don’t sell them without my permission. Making objects from my patterns for charitable donations is also okay, as long as you do not exceed 25 pieces for that purpose. If you want to make larger quantities or sell objects made from this pattern, or inspired by this patterns (as in, if you're selling a monster bag with crayon teeth, we need to talk!) please contact me for licensing information at email@example.com. For independent handmade sellers, I ask for a nominal fee ($5-$10/year) and a design credit. Thanks!
A PDF Pattern for a sturdier canvas tote with more monster facial features is now available in my Pattern shop. Get it now!
CRAYON MONSTER ART TOTE TUTORIAL
for the monster:
(1) 8" x 8" piece of fleece for head
(1) 5" x 8" piece of fleece for mouth
(2) 1.5" circles of white fleece or felt for eyes
(2) .5" circles of black fleece or felt for eyes
(1) 1.5" x 1" oval of fleece or felt for nose
(1) 10.5" x 25" piece of felt
4 ft. belting for strap
matching and contrasting thread
1" wide masking tape
scissors and/or rotary cutter
HOW TO MAKE THE MONSTER
Sew a 1/4" hem along the top of the 5"x8" pice of fleece. Place this piece on the bottom of your 8"x8" square of fleece and pin* it into place. Find the center of the square and put a piece of 1" wide masking tape down. The tape will be your sewing guide so that you can make nice, evenly spaced pockets for the crayon teeth.
Without sewing your tape, sew as close to your tape as possible along both edges, back-stitching a couple of times at the openings.
You now have a completed monster patch! For this tutorial, I'll show you how to add your monster to a super simple felt tote that is just big enough to hold a couple of coloring books. However, you can sew it onto any bag of your choosing-just sew the monster onto the right side of your material before make your bag. Or you can customize any messenger bag by sewing you monster onto the flap.
HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE FELT TOTE
Iron down a 1/4" hem along the top of the bag (folding toward the inside of the bag).
Going in about 2" from the edge, place one end of the belting under the hem you just ironed. Fold the flap of felt down over the belting, then flip the belting up over the felt hem. Pin into place and repeat on the other side, taking care that your strap isn't twisted. Repeat on the other side of the bag.
1. Sew a zig-zag stitch along the top hems, securing the straps to the top of the bag.
2. Sew the monster to the front of the bag. Tip: Start along the top of the monster's head. Fleece is stretchy and tends to shift, and it may get a little uneven, even if you pinned extensively. Sew along the top first so that the top edge of the monster is even with the top of the bag. Even if it shifts, this will make it look better over all. Also, be sure to pick up your presser foot and smooth the fabric every few inches. This will help prevent shifty wonkiness.
3. Straight stitch the sides of the bag together about 1/4". Cut with pinking shears.
That's it! Stuff the pockets with crayons to make the teeth and show off your cute new tote!
Read on to the following post to see how to win this crayon tote for yourself! (or, you can always check out my Etsy shop, Stinky Boy! and buy one there :)
*A note about pinning in this project: I am not usually a "pinner" and I avoid using pins at all costs. In this project, though, you will want to pin, pin, pin! Fleece is pretty stretchy stuff and it is easy for things to get real wonky real quick. So if you're a lazy pinner like I am, you'll want to make sure that you actually PIN when the instructions say to do so. Trust me, I wouldn't make you pin if you didn't need to :)
Enter here to win the Crayon Monster Art Tote that I made for my Celebrate the Boy! tutorial.To enter the Crayon Monster Art Tote Giveaway, you can either:
HOW TO ENTER
HOW TO ENTER
1) Visit Stinky Boy! on Etsy, then come back here and leave a comment letting me know what your favorite item is in the shop. (note: Things are selling faster than I'm replacing them! You can always browse my Sold Items if the shop is sparse.)
OR2) "Like" Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky! on Facebook, then come back here and leave a comment letting me know you're a fan. (Already a fan? Fantastic! Just let me know.)
Only ONE entry per person, so please note that you only have to do one of the above ways to enter. And, of course, it thrills me, chills me, fulfills me when you "Follow" Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky! on Twitter or Google Friend Connect (in my sidebar), but that won't get you any extra entries, so only do it if you love me :)
And one more thing, make sure I have a way to contact you if you win - an email address or a username to message you via Facebook, Twitter, Etsy convo, Blogger, etc.
Giveaway is open to US residents & International residents with restrictions - see official rules for details
Giveaway ends Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at noon PST. Winner will be announced shortly after.
- Giveaway closes on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at noon PST. Comment datestamps must be recorded by that date/time to be eligible. Winner will be chosen by random drawing and will be announced on Wednesday, March 2, 2011.
- The giveaway is open to both US and International participants. I will provide free priority USPS shipping to US participants and free first class shipping to International participants. INTERNATIONAL PARTICIPANTS PLEASE READ: International winner must pay for any customs duties, fees, levies, and/or taxes. I am willing to expedite shipping for international shipments if winner is willing to make up difference between first class mail and international express. Payable via PayPal.
- Minors under the age of 18 must have parental/guardian permission to enter (if you are under 18, I will need to contact your parent(s)/guardian if you win and make sure they said it was okay-so ask permission before you enter).
- I will announce the winner on my blog and make every attempt to contact the winner. You must leave your email address in your comment, or a place where I can message you via Facebook, Twitter, Etsy, etc. If the winner doesn't respond within 10 days, a new winner will be chosen.
- Item will be shipped directly from me via USPS Mail. Expedited shipping and/or insurance may be purchased by the winner for an addtional fee. Item will NOT be insured against damage by the postal system unless additional insurance is purchased. Payable via PayPal.
- All Stinky Boy! Shop Policies apply to the winning item as if it was a purchased item from Etsy. By entering the giveaway you are complying to all Shop Policies as they are laid out on Etsy. Also by entering this giveaway, you are complying to the official rules as they have been laid out here :)
- Thank you for entering and good luck!
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Today I have a guest post up on Felt-o-rama! I did a detailed tutorial on my felted ring bowls (you may recall that I made one as a wedding gift a couple of weeks back). Now you can make one of your very own! Felt-o-rama is a great blog for anyone into fiber arts. Check out the sidebar for a HUGE link list of resources for everything related to working with felt. And after you do that and are all inspired to make cute little fuzzy things, be sure to check out the Felt-o-rama store front :)