Wednesday, August 18, 2010
On a recent visit to a friend's house, Huck got very attached to a hobby horse. So attached that we ended up taking it home with us. That sparked an idea off in my head, and I started to draft a pattern for my own stick horse. My original plan was to make this as a Toy Society drop, but Huck really likes it, so I may have to just make a new one.
Of course, this is my first go at this, so I see lots of things I can do to make my next one better. Less forehead, wider snout, crimp the ears so they stand up more. I'm happy with the mane-I found an amazing yarn store close to home where I plan to spend a lot of money. I'm still trying to figure out a way to properly attach the head. It pops off now and then. Hot glue, maybe. Inside and around the base (so it is stuck to the fabric as well as the stuffing inside). Steve suggested stuffing a bunch of red yarn on the inside so when the head pops off, the red yarn all falls out.
Here's Huck modeling it. And for those of you who wonder why I only use Huck as a model, I'll have you know that I dressed Milo to match the horse in a teal blue shirt and brown shorts and a brown & blue baseball cap, but when I tried to get him to "ride" it, he threw it on the ground and screamed "NO, MAMA!" and then ran off to the swings. Models!